Jacob Babu M.D, M.H.A, M.S.
Dual Fellowship-Trained Orthopedic SurgeonSpine Surgery & Orthopedic Trauma Surgery
Jacob Babu M.D, M.H.A, is dual-fellowship trained in spine surgery and orthopedic trauma surgery. Dr. Babu specializes in comprehensive spine surgical care in adults and adolescents including nonoperative management of spine conditions, minimally invasive spine surgery, complex spinal reconstruction, motion-sparing procedures, spinal infections, and traumatic injuries. Dr. Babu is also one of just a few providers in the state who performs endoscopic spine surgery, considered to be one of the least invasive surgical options.
Dr. Babu acquired degrees in Engineering and Medicine in the Chicagoland area. He completed his surgical training in orthopedic surgery at Brown University. He then went on to complete two fellowships, the first in Orthopedic Trauma Surgery from Brown University. He furthered his education by completing a Spine Surgery Fellowship from the prestigious Johns Hopkins University.
Dr. Babu has been committed to the improvement of spine surgical care. He has presented at national meetings, authored numerous textbook chapters, and has published original research regarding spine and orthopedic surgery. His work has won national awards and he serves as an active member of several professional societies including the American Association of Orthopedic Surgeons (AAOS) and the North American Spine Society (NASS). Dr. Babu has served as an instructor and educator for medical students and residents at various teaching institutions throughout the country. Dr. Babu also spends time teaching surgical techniques to doctors in developing countries to help improve their medical care. In addition, Dr. Babu has served as team doctor for collegiate and high school level sports.
Dr. Babu became interested in spine surgery because of the profound impact he can make on his patients’ quality of life and functionality. He works closely with patients to ensure their understanding of their condition before deciding on a treatment plan together. Keeping each patient’s individual goals in mind, Dr. Babu has a preference to first exhaust nonsurgical options to improve a patient’s condition. When nonsurgical options are no longer helpful, Dr. Babu employs the most effective and safest techniques to achieve optimal outcomes for his patients in an effort to minimize complications and shorten recovery time. His primary goal is to help patients achieve a quality of life they previously experienced while treating patients with respect and compassion, as he would want his own family treated.
In his free time, Dr. Babu enjoys traveling and experiencing different cultures. He also enjoys volunteering, reading, and being active outdoors.
- General Engineering, University of Illinois, Champaign, Illinois
- Doctor of Medicine, Chicago Medical School, North Chicago, Illinois
- Masters in Healthcare Administration and Management, Chicago Medical School, North Chicago, Illinois
- Orthopedic Surgery Residency, Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island
- Orthopedic Trauma Surgery Fellowship, Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island
- Spine Surgery Fellowship, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland
- Orthopedic Surgery
Awards and Honors
- Mark Palumbo/Phil Lucas Spine Surgery Achievement Award, July 2020
- American Orthopedic Association Top Presentation Award, July 2019
- Rhode Island Orthopedic Society Top Research Award, July 2019
- New England Orthopedic Society Top Research Award, 2018
- Health Volunteers Overseas Scholarship, Kumasi, Ghana, 2018
- Highest Clinical GPA Award, Chicago Medical School, 2014
- American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons
- North American Spine Society Member
- Health Volunteers Overseas Member
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society